Figliulo & Silverman represents owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects and engineers on private and public projects in legal matters related to design and construction defects, delay and disruption claims, acceleration claims, lien claims, insurance and bond issues, defaults/terminations, closeout issues and public bidding disputes.
On the transactional side, the firm negotiates and drafts design and construction contracts and related contract documents, and works with clients on a broad range of matters, including risk management, insurance and bonds, personnel and employment, labor relations, environmental and safety. Attorneys at the firm act from time to time as project or program attorney for contractors or owners.
The following is a representative sample of matters handled by the firm:
- Represented a food service company in a million-dollar commercial eviction case from judgment in the trial court through appeal.
- Represented a developer in litigation related to the construction and turnover of a 180-unit condominium complex.
- Represented a general contractor in the restructuring of a high-rise project and related litigation that arose out of a developer’s default.
- Represented the owner in the termination of a design/builder, the completion of the high-rise project, and related litigation.
- Represented a subcontractor and officers in litigation arising out of an assignment for the benefit of creditors.
- Represented an owner in a design claim against an engineering firm that was resolved successfully without litigation.
- Represented a party in litigation involving a joint-venture claim as to share of profits from construction of a multi-use commercial property.
- Represented designer and contractor in claims related to redesign and renovation of a golf course in suburban Cook County.
- Prepared contract documents for use in the renovation of a Florida resort property.
- Prepared contract documents for use in environmental compliance/remediation projects in various states.
- Prepared contract documents for a variety of projects done in connection with the redevelopment of a large commercial property in Chicago.