Figliulo & Silverman, P.C. has extensive experience representing clients in bankruptcy and reorganization proceedings. The firm has provided effective and efficient representation for the following parties in bankruptcy: individuals and businesses in Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 proceedings; creditors; trustees in bankruptcy; landlords and tenants; vendors and suppliers; insurance companies; general contractors and sub-contractors; franchisors; guarantors; shareholders; officers and directors; attorneys and other professionals.
The firm is experienced in handling a variety of bankruptcy matters, including Chapter 11 filings, adversary proceedings, avoidance actions, discharge and dischargeability proceedings, and bankruptcy appeals. The following is a representative sample of recent matters handled by the firm:
- Successfully defended debtors in a bench trial in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois against objections to discharge and dischargeability of debt asserted by a creditor.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of an aerosol product supplier seeking to recover in a bankruptcy case millions of dollars in damages related to alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and fraudulent and preferential transfers.
- Successfully defended former shareholders of a publicly traded company in fraudulent transfer action seeking to avoid merger agreement.
- Successfully defended former officers and directors of failed company in fraudulent transfer and breach of fiduciary duty action filed by bankruptcy trustee.
- Won directed verdict in trial of adversary complaint filed by debtor against former landlord for alleged violations of automatic stay.
- Defended an accounting firm against malpractice action filed by bankruptcy trustee.
- Represented a legal malpractice plaintiff in bankruptcy of failed law firm.
- Represented numerous vendors and personal injury claimants in Chapter 11 proceeding of Kmart Corporation.
- Represented numerous creditors in Chapter 11 proceeding of UAL Corporation.
- Represented franchisor of national hotel chain in Chapter 11 proceeding of franchisee.
- Represented numerous vendors and suppliers in ongoing preference litigation.