Pete has broad-based experience representing clients in sophisticated business disputes for more than 30 years in state and federal courts and has consistently achieved his client’s objectives, employing sound judgment, careful analysis and aggressive determination.
Since 2010, Pete has been recognized in the practice area of Commercial Litigation by “Best Lawyers”, “Leading Lawyers” and “Super Lawyers” for excellence in the profession. He is ranked by “Leading Lawyers” as one of the ten best attorneys in Illinois defending legal malpractice claims.
Pete has extensive experience and has achieved outstanding results representing law firms and lawyers on professional responsibilities, fee disputes and claims of legal malpractice. He has significant experience defending investigations and complaints before the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.
In addition, Pete has substantial experience and success representing clients in corporate and partnership disputes. He has handled numerous matters involving the interpretation and enforcement of partnership and shareholder agreements and the application of the Business Corporation Act and Uniform Partnership Act in the context of closely held, family-owned businesses as well as partnership and corporate dissolutions and breakups.
Pete’s experience in employment law is also extensive and diverse. He has rendered services ranging from general counseling, such as drafting employee handbooks, policies and procedures, to prosecuting and defending discrimination, wrongful discharge and retaliation claims. Pete also has extensive experience enforcing and defending against restrictive covenants.
Recent Representative cases include:
- defended shareholder dispute in Circuit Court of Cook County as part of a team with two international law firms, dismissed as a matter of law
- defended contract claim in Northern Illinois District Court, dismissed on summary judgment
- defended contract dispute in Circuit Court of Cook County, dismissed on summary judgment and affirmed on appeal in First District Appellate Court of Illinois
- defended legal malpractice claims in Circuit Court of Cook County, dismissed on summary judgment
- defended lender liability action in Circuit Court of Cook County, dismissed on summary judgment and affirmed on appeal in First District Appellate Court of Illinois
- defended easement action in Northern Illinois District Court, dismissed on summary judgment, and affirmed on appeal in Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- defended tort claims in Circuit Court of Cook County, dismissed as a matter of law
Pete is admitted to practice in the state of Illinois, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court. He is a member of the trial bar for the Northern District of Illinois and a pro bono panel member. Pete is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and a member of the American Bar Association.
Pete in Leading Lawyers Magazine – 2012